The car scrappage scheme
A threat to the environment is posed by old cars. It is best for them to be scrapped and replaced by newer, more efficient vehicles. This is one of the driving forces behind the car scrappage scheme created by the government. When scrapping an eligible car it's possible to get £2,000 off the OTR price of a new one. Although the idea sounds great, at Scrap Car Z we believe their are some problems with the scheme. For one thing, the scheme dictates to you which new cars you can purchase in exchange for scrapping your old car. Additionally, the old car you are having scrapped must meet the strict criteria set by the government. The requirements for the scheme are listed below.
The old car you are scrapping must:
- Have been registered to you continuously for at least 12 calendar months
- Have a United Kingdom address on the registration certificate (also known as V5C)
- Be a small van or car weighing 3.5 tonnes or under
- Be registered in the United Kingdom on or before the 31st August 1999
- Still be insured when you order the new car
- Be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or Driver and Vehicle Agency in your name
- Have a valid MOT (or within 14 days of expiry) on the old car at the time you order the new one
- Have a valid tax disc when the order of your new vehicle is placed
As you can see, the requirements for scrapping a car under the car scrappage scheme are rather harsh. Sadly, this has lead to a lot of disappointment in Z from people who were hoping to profit from scrapping their car.
Just call us on 0800 043 5100 or fill out the following form: